In the vibrant, flavour-bursting world of Levantine food, there are a lot of words to get your head around. So, we’re adding another entry to our BABA glossary. Introducing… zhug!
We’re pretty sure you’ve seen zhug pop up a lot on our menus but what exactly is it? Simply put, it’s a Yemenite hot sauce with a vivid, bright green colour.
If you’re looking to add a fiery kick to your food, we’d recommend having a go at the recipe below to make your very own zhug. Try serving it alongside a hummus dip with some soft flatbread, fresh salads or falafel.
20g green chillies
10g pickled green chillies
2g dried red chillies
20g flat leaf parsley
1g cumin seed
2 garlic cloves, minced
40ml extra virgin olive oil
80ml pomace oil
Lemon, zest and juice
4g caster sugar
1. In a food processor, blend all of the chillies, coriander, flat leaf parsley, lemon zest, 24ml of lemon juice and olive oil.
2. Toast off the cardamom and cumin and then pound in a pestle and mortar.
3. Add the garlic and spices to the mixture.
4. Finish with the salt, sugar and pomace oil.
5. Store in an airtight container and chill.